A 501 (c) (3) non-profit organization
English  |   Francais  |   Espanol  |   Italiano  |   Portugues  |   Deutsch

St. Vincent and the Grenadines

Country Description:

  • Full country name: Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
  • Area: 389 sq km, 150 sq mi
  • Population: 120,000 (approx)
  • Capital city: Kingstown
  • People: 66% Black, 6% East Indian, 19% Mixed Race, 2% Carib Amerindian, 4% White, 3% Other
  • Languages: English, Vincentian Creole dialect
  • Currency: East Caribbean Dollars (XCD)

St. Vincent and the Grenadines is a multi-island state in the Windward Island chain of the Lesser Antilles, consisting of thirty two islands, inlets and cays. At the primary care level, thirty nine Health Centers spreading over nine health districts provide services to the users of these facilities. On an average, each Health Center is equipped to cater to a population averaging 2,900 with no one required to travel more than three miles to access care.

To fly to St. Vincent and the Grenadines, you can take LIAT/Caribbean Star Airlines to St. Vincent and the Grenadines via stopover in Barbados, Trinidad or St. Lucia; The airport you will fly into is called E.T. Joshua Airport in Arnos Vale on St. Vincent island.

Volunteer Description:
Healthcare providers are needed to perform basic outpatient and inpatient services. These include:

  • Preventative health care services (screening, hypertension, diabetic clinic etc)
  • Nutrition counselling
  • Dental emergency care
  • Pharmaceutical services
  • Prenatal and postnatal care
  • Midwifery services
  • Child health services – including immunisation
  • Mental health services
  • School health
  • Family planning services
  • Wound care
  • Communicable and non-communicable disease control

We need healthcare providers to administer vaccines, perform screening and care for common sexually transmitted infections, perform basic gynecologic care (PAP screening, urine pregnancy tests), and perform vision screening and hearing testing. Health care providers are needed to perform various office procedures (flexible sigmoidoscopy, colposcopy, LEEP biopsy of the cervix, cryotherapy, vasectomy, and obstetrical ultrasound). Physicians are needed to assist with the teaching of nurses and other health care providers in clinical medical education. Dentists will be needed to provide extractions, operative, endodontics and other palliative treatment for acute dental infections.

Dental Services:
There's no speciality dentists in St. Vincent.
Dental service is provided free of charge to children and persons over the age of 60 years in the health centers, all others pay a small fee for dental care. Private dental care to the average Vincentian is expensive.
Services provided at the Government Clinics are restorations and extractions. All other services must be sought from private dentists. Dental x-rays are obtainable at the Milton Cato Memorial Hospital only.
No dental supplies or instruments can be purchased in St. Vincent and the Grenadine;  they must be imported from elsewhere.

There's a great need for medical personnel in St. Vincent, especially specialists in the fields of Cardiology, Oncology, Endocrinology, Physiotherapy, and Family Practice. It would be a great thing if these specialists (and hopefully more) could be recruited for volunteer service for at least 1 year. Teams are encouraged to apply. If teams are preformed, we will help the teams form under our name.

Locations / HealthCare Facilities:
1) Medical Facilities: The Milton Cato Memorial Hospital

This is a full service hospital, where the majority of medical procedures will take place.

In addition to this there are also several other smaller clinics that medical oriented volunteers can volunteer at.

2)Dental Facilities:
The equipment in most of the Government operated Dental Clinics in SVG consists of 1 Dental Chair, 1 Compressor, 1 Suction/Delivery Unit, Fast and Slow hand pieces, Sterilizer, Amalgamator, Water distributor, Light Cure Unit, Ultrasonic Scaler and full set of hand instruments.
Dental X-rays are done at the Milton Cato Memorial Hospital only.
The clinics are operated by 1Dentist and is assisted by a Dental Nurse. Dental care is not available at all the 39 Health Centres in the country.

A visa is not required to enter the country. Each volunteer must be the holder of a current license or be able to show proof of his/her qualification. The Ministry of Health in St. Vincent and the Grenadines must authorize the team to practice. Each member of the team must provide a notarized copy of his/her current license or proof of qualifications and copy of Resume/CV (This is optional). Once these are received, we will obtain the necessary endorsement from the Ministry of Health.

The doctors and dentists need to apply about 2 months in advance for their temporary licenses. They would then be forwarded to the St. Vincent Ministry of Health and the licenses are usually issued within 2 weeks. No fee is charged for the licenses or for other volunteer registration. There are opportunities for nurses and dental hygienists to volunteer as well. Third and fourth students may be part of a mission team and they may assist the dentists and doctors with ancillary duties but they are not allowed to do clinical volunteering.

a) An application Letter (addressed to Chairman, Medical Council of SVG, C/o Ministry of Health, Kingstown, St. Vincent).
b) Notarized copy of current license (or proof of qualification if the doctor is retired).
c) Recent reference from immediate previous employer.
d) Copy of CV.
e) 2 recent passport size pictures
* Please not that faxed copy of current license or proof of qualification is not accepted. However the other documents can be emailed or faxed.

Volunteer nurses who wish to provide nursing care in SVG must be registered with the General Nursing Council. To register with the Council, each nurse must submit the following and mail them to HealthCare Volunteer, 6825 Cielo Vista Dr, PMB# 29, El Paso, TX 79925:

  • An Application. (This is a simple letter requesting registration in SVG. It must be addressed to: The Chairperson, General Nursing Council, Box 1175, Kingstown, St. Vincent and the Grenadines).
  • 2 recent passport pictures.
  • Evidence of initial registration.
  • Evidence of current registration.
  • Original transcript of Nursing/Midwifery training from training institution(s)
  • Copy of Birth Certificate.
  • Recent reference from immediate/previous employer.
  • Curriculum Vitae;
  • Notarized copy of Nursing Certificate(s).
  1. Submit a letter of application addressed to Mrs. Joanne Jack, Chairman, General Pharmacetuical Council, C/o Environmental Health Building, Kingstown, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, W.I.
  2. Notarized copy of current license (or proof of qualification if retired).
  3. Copy of CV/Resume
  4. Reference from immediate past employer
  5. Two (2) passport size pictures.
1. Submit a letter of application addressed to: Chief Medical Officer, Ministry of Health, Halifax Street, Kingstown, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, W.I.
2. Notarized copy of current license or proof of qualification if retired.
3. Copy of CV/Resume
4. Reference from immediate past employer.
5. Two (2) passport size pictures.

Procedures that Dental Students / Medical Students are allowed to perform:
Medical Students:
High blood pressure screening
Dietary counseling / reduce heart disease / lung auscultations

Dental Students:
Cannot perform heavy clinical care.
Dental checkup / consultations / oral cancer screenings
Dental cleanings
Dental hygenists / dental assistants – can perform their normal duties.

Transportation, housing, room and board may be provided at no charge once we have secured funding from the Social Investment Fund. Transportation for all volunteers to/from the airport and everyday to/from the clinic you are volunteering at is provided free of charge. For now, housing costs will be as follows:
- Double Room (2 persons): $35/day per person; Acommodation will be at Riverside Apartments. The rooms are air conditioned and equipped with cable TV. There is a full kitchenette available for volunteers to do their own cooking.
- Shared House: $5-$25/day per person depending on the number of people sharing the house with you. Maximum Occupancy is 5 people and this reduces costs to $5/day per person. If you live in the house by yourself it will cost $25/day. You share an entire house with 0-5 other volunteers in your volunteer team. At this time, volunteers are responsible for their flight accomodations and personal expenses.
Apply now

How Do I Apply?
Follow this 3 step process:
1. Create an account and then login to your account. Next Fill out the Online Application.
2. Next, Print/Fill out the Paper form (PDF or DOC) and mail it to us with supporting documents.
3. Upon receipt of your materials, we will process your application, obtain necessary work permits and deploy you to your volunteering site. Filling out the volunteering form is not a guarantee of placement, but we do try to accommodate as many volunteers as possible during the times you request. Please remember you will have to pay your own visa, temporary licensure or other governmental fees necessary. In the mean time, please gain the latest recommended immunizations
US Citizens: Follow CDC Guidelines | UK Citizens: Follow NHS Guidelines | Other Citizens: Follow Local Guidelines